Paul Larbey, Vice President and General Manager of Alcatel-Lucent‟s Velocix activities said: “Over the past two years we have been leading the deployment of CDNs to service providers to support the streaming of IP video to connected devices such as PCs, tablets and smartphones, thereby extending their current services to additional screens. Velocix EVE represents a huge leap forward in delivering these services in a more efficient and personalized manner.”
Velocix EVE is the first solution on the market that combines important techniques for customized video delivery – rule-based transformation (RBT) and session-awareness - in the same IP streaming delivery infrastructure. RBT centralizes all of the video analysis and processing at the core of the network, where there is the greatest processing capacity. In this way, any given piece of video content can be delivered to devices at the edge of the network, closer to the consumer, along with a „rule‟ that instructs these delivery devices how to modify the video stream into the different formats needed to serve smartphones, TVs, tablets, or PCs. This process both reduces costs and makes it easier to personalize content while providing a higher quality of experience than is possible when relying on the open Internet to transmit content.
This offers a number of benefits, including:
- Customers‟ requests for video streams can take advantage of available data on the customers' location and profile to enable highly personalized programming and advertising
- Service providers can use awareness of multiple devices being used concurrently within a customer account and make maximum use of available bandwidth to accommodate different screen and programming requirements as well as the customer‟s established preferences and service plan
- A customer can immediately join a live program stream already in progress without the delay usually associated with the establishment of typical Internet streaming connections
Michelle Abraham, Senior Analyst at MRG said: “Service providers are looking for the competitive edge that increases their appeal for their customers. Differentiating their services with high quality and greater personalization is critical to their remaining the preferred distributors of premium pay TV content. Velocix Enhances Video Experience delivers the kind of innovations and improvements that will enable them to accomplish that goal."
By combining the best of IP streaming innovation with increased awareness of network conditions and customer preferences, Velocix EVE offers dramatic improvements to the pay TV delivery infrastructure, reducing costs for service providers and enabling them to offer new, more personalized video services for their customers. The Velocix EVE supports Alcatel-Lucent‟s High Leverage Network (HLN), a strategy for continuous innovation and business success that enables service providers to leverage the full potential of their networks.
About the Velocix Enhanced Video Experience
Velocix EVE comprises a number of new products and enhancements becoming available now and through the first half of 2013, including:
- Velocix Session Manager, which improves the overall efficiency and enables the customer experience to be adapted in real-time based on factors such as network conditions, content types, consumer and device profiles
- Velocix Enhanced Origin Server, which records, stores, publishes and originates copies of media content
- Enhancements to the existing Velocix 7810 Digital Media Delivery Platform, the market leading “on- net” Content Delivery Network (CDN) system deployed by Cable/Multiple System Operators and telecom TV providers
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
The long-trusted partner of service providers, enterprises and governments around the world, Alcatel-Lucent is a leading innovator in the field of networking and communications technology, products and services. The company is home to Bell Labs, one of the world's foremost research centers, responsible for breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent was named one of MIT Technology Review's 2012 Top 50 list of the "World's Most Innovative Companies" for breakthroughs such as lightRadio™, which cuts power consumption and operating costs on wireless networks while delivering lightning fast Internet access. Through such innovations, Alcatel-Lucent is making communications more sustainable, more affordable and more accessible as we pursue our mission - Realizing the Potential of a Connected World.
With operations in more than 130 countries and one of the most experienced global services organizations in the industry, Alcatel-Lucent is a local partner with global reach. The Company achieved revenues of Euro 15.3 billion in 2011 and is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris.
For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel- Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent.
ALCATEL-LUCENT PRESS CONTACTS
ALCATEL-LUCENT INVESTOR RELATIONS