Velocix Edge and Intermediary Delivery applications cache and deliver managed content for which a commercial agreement between the network operator and the content owner exists.
These two applications are deployed in a hierarchical fashion with Edge Delivery being at the lower layer, closest to end users and Intermediary Delivery located at one or more higher layer(s).
The Edge Delivery application serves user requests by delivering a copy of the content stored in its cache. If the content is not available in the Edge Delivery cache a request is sent to other Edge Delivery applications nearby and Intermediary Delivery applications for the content. If the content is not available in the Delivery Tier it is acquired from the Storage Tier.
Features & Benefits
- Support for all major digital media file formats and protocols enables the delivery of a wide range of content to all popular clients
- Support for live and on-demand streaming provides the basis for all content distribution business models
- Hierarchical multi-tiered delivery optimizes response time and delivery speed to end-users while making more efficient use of the underlying network resources and reducing the load on the origin server
- The linking of multiple Edge Delivery appliances
In a Velocix Inter-Cache Protocol group allows the appliances in the group to share cached content which minimizes acquisition traffic with the Intermediary Delivery layer
- Ability to set a specific maximum delivery rate for HTTP download and progressive streaming objects avoids wasting bandwidth if the download is aborted by the user
- Control access to content using token-based user authentication is configurable by individual asset or asset group
- A geo-blocking capability can restrict delivery of content on a per individual asset basis to specific IP ranges
- DSCP marking for RTMP streaming allows different levels of priority to be set to manage quality of service at a service level basis
- Intelligent management of simultaneous origin requests provides superior scalability and reduces transport costs.
Media file formats and protocols:HTTP
Web site caching